What We Do
Finding your voice can be tricky. You don’t know if you can trust what you read online. You’re not sure if what you’re trying is working. At VoiceHacker, we know the world is changing - and that voice training needs to change with it. That’s why we’re putting together the best courses and content for you to train with - so that you can get the most out of your voice.
We’ve worked with actors, singers, doctors, football commentators, TV presenters, schoolteachers, voiceover artists, and executives. We’ve taken clients from Time Warner, Sky, the BBC, NHS, MEC and Accenture. And we’ve taught more than 3,000 lessons to many hundreds of clients.
Whether you’re an actor looking to master an accent, an executive looking for the power to convince, or you just feel like you haven’t found your voice; you’ve come to the right place.
Get lessons over Skype or learn along with our twice-weekly podcast on the British Accent.
Learn to project your voice with downloadable warm-ups and daily voice articles.
Join Time Warner, Sky and Accenture in taking advantage of our leadership expertise.
Join a public speaking course in London or take advantage of our daily voice articles.
The ‘tion’ combo is our focus today, and it’s actually incredibly uniform. Any time you see that ‘tion’ at the end of a word, you’ll be turning it into a small ‘schwa’ sound, just like ‘a’, or ‘after’. I know – it’s so tempting to make it huge, like ‘Shaun’ or ‘shun’. But really, it’s[…]
Another combination to be aware of today – the ‘oth’ sound doesn’t tend to go how you think it will. It’s actually much more of a ‘uh’ sound, like ‘such’ or ‘much’. Get the lowdown on how to square off the mouth, relax the tongue and prevent the ‘oh’ sound from sneaking more.
To Brits and Americans alike, Brazil seems a long way off. But a recent study from UFMG in Belo Horizonte casts a new light on women and public speaking: and it’s making waves beyond South America. Women get a raw deal from their voices. Anatomical odds are stacked against them. The higher pitch range of[…]
For the first time, I’m excited to announce that VoiceHacker are putting together some interactive courses. I wanted to give my students something to take away to practice, and I finally landed on this as the format. So here it is. For free. These are exercises designed to be practical, to quiz you on what you’re[…]
7%, 38%, 55%. That’s the ratio that everyone quotes when it comes to the importance of body language. It’s from a study by Albert Mehrabrian, and says that only 7% of communication relies on the words we choose. The other 93% is conveyed in ‘non-verbal’ cues: 38% in the tone of your voice and 55%[…]
Politicians get a bad rap these days. They’re accused of being liars, of being unsure of their convictions, and of pandering to the public. But the pressures on them are huge. The technology of the soundbite has made it possible for their worst moments to be repeated and retweeted. Every news anchor with their salt[…]
The ‘Z’ sound is pretty nasty – it takes a lot of muscularity in the tongue and crops up in unexpected places. Many of the words that you’ll think of as containing ‘s’ sounds are actually hidden z’s. Sounds, hides, causes, as, his… All z’s. So learn your s’s from your z’s with 2,000-hour vocal[…]
The ‘R’ sound can be a nasty one for speakers, especially those with accents which are not particularly muscular. Cambridge and Estuary speakers are particularly at risk, though a weak ‘R’ crops up every now and again for others too. In this clip, 2,000-lesson vocal coach Matt Pocock shows you how to strengthen the ‘R’[…]
The Diamond of Support is a killer exercise from Janice Chapman in her book Singing and Teaching Singing. It neatly explains in an easy-to-use exercise how the abdomen should be working in order to keep the voice healthy and strong. It also neatly cuts out tension from the rectus abdominis, a nasty centre for[…]
One word above all comes to mind when you think of singing training. Freedom. Freedom from strain, freedom from tension, and freedom from worry – and the last is the most elusive. This is why, at VoiceHacker, we like vocal hacks which take away the worry; which allow you to get on with expressing yourself[…]